(Apologies for the massive amount of cross-posting I've been doing with this!)
"The Big Thing About Charlie Dog", written by Ruth Spigiel and illustrated by Becky Rushton (me!), is now available to buy!
From the publisher (includes a picture of the front cover): http://www.strategicpublishinggroup.c
From Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Thing-About-C
From Amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Thing-A
Hooray! I've been published!
I'm bored so I'm making sleepy Pokemon user icons.
Missing dad a lot! It tends to come in waves now, which is strange but just about manageable. I think what caused it was I was looking through a stack of photos someone had left in the computer room, as I saw baby photos of my brother and I on the top. Flicking through, there was a photo of mum and dad on holiday, with dad looking so young! He had a nice smile on his face, it was a great picture. It helped distract from mum's insane 80's perm, bless.
It's an odd thought, that whenever someone hears I'm missing him strongly, they very sweetly recommend I go visit the crematorium and have a little sit. The odd part is the practice of when you're missing somebody that's gone, you should go to the place that reminds you that they really are dead. But they do have a point, I always feel a lot better after visiting. I don't get upset there anymore, the memorial gardens really are beautiful. I took dad some daffodils the other week to Spring the plaque up a bit, they look great. I want to take a photo but it always seems wrong to me to take a picture in a place like that. Maybe next time.
In other news, there is no other news. I'll have to update when I have more than one thing to talk about, boo.
I haven't been bothered to make a new icon in ages, but oh man I love Hark, A Vagrant.
Otherwise, almost nothing of note is happening in my days and I like it! I'm playing Zelda: Twilight Princess, occasionally doodling and sometimes tapping out a few more words of 'Good Job, Dog!'. I love writing it. I need more hours at work, but who doesn't? Maybe time to start looking for a new job. I wish I didn't have to, I mean I really do enjoy my job and I've got some great workmates, but on my current hours I can either keep my car running or save for a house, not both. I need both!
I'd like to be more arty, maybe I should organise trades. Weirdly nothing seems to spark inspiration like drawing other people's characters/requests.
Stolen from Peace and regarding her good self:
01) Are you currently in a serious relationship? Yes! It's lovely.
02) What was your dream growing up? Upsettingly, I don't think I had one! I do now though, it involves art.
03) What talent do you wish you had? Being able to draw realistic poses arrgh.
04) If I bought you a drink what would it be? Depends if I'm driving! If I am, half an ale. If I'm not, a pint of ale.
05) Favorite vegetable? Parsnip!
06) What was the last book you read? 'Goldfinger' by Ian Fleming.
07) What zodiac sign are you? Aries.
08) Any Tattoos and/or Piercings? Explain where. Ears pierced, nose pierced on right side.
09) Worst Habit? Being flouncy!
10) How would you describe your fashion sense? Comfortable.
11) What is your favorite sport? I like watching snooker?
12) Do you have a Pessimistic or Optimistic attitude? A bit of both! Optimism usually prevails.
13) What's the object in your possession you've had the longest? Gosh, don't know. Probably my childhood teddy, Boom-Boom.
14) Worst thing to ever happen to you? Losing dad.
15) Tell me one weird fact about you. I can't think of one!
16) Do you have any pets? Yep, a cat named Edd (blue British shorthair) and a lovely mad collie/retriever cross named Cirrus.
17) What if I showed up at your house unexpectedly? I'd assume you were very, very lost. We'd have tea.
18) What was your first impression of me? Sweet girl that liked Boffle, I think!
19) Do you think clowns are cute or scary? Pretty scary.
20) If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be? A bit less tum would be appreciated.
21) Would you be my crime partner or my conscience? I can't possibly decide.
22) What color eyes do you have? Blue. One has a brown fleck in it.
23) Ever been arrested? Noo.
24) Bottle or can soda? I will have a bottle of fizzy drink, please.
25) If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with it? Weep at the conversion rate. Then be boring and put it all into savings.
27) What's your favorite place to hang out at? My own room. So sad.
28) Do you believe in ghosts? Hmm, not sure.
29) Favorite thing to do in your spare time? Art, video games, see Adam.
30) Do you swear a lot? Gosh no.
31) Biggest pet peeve? Bad drivers. Messy customers.
32) In one word, how would you describe yourself? BECKY
33) Do you believe/appreciate romance? Yes and yes!
34) Favourite and least favourite food? Favourite: indian food, mmm. Least: beetroot.
35) Do you believe in God? No.
Right, resolutions for the new year!
- Get published
This one is cheating a bit, because it's in the pipeline and not something I need to actually work towards. However, the follow-on requires more effort:
- Get printed more!
I need to use the book gig as a springboard to really try and get my name out there. Spare time needs to be spent working on portfolio-quality art, full-coloured pieces with backgrounds.
- Work all the overtime hours I can at Tesco
...And really get serious about saving money. Adam and I are working on finding a place of our own in three years, we have the money for a deposit but we need to really get some fall-back cash saved. Neither of us are free spenders - we're two of the most frugal people you'll meet - but I need to get more hours, say yes to everything that comes up.
- Clear out bedroom
It's a really tiny room, but with so many things stuffed into storage spaces! I need to clear out the clutter and all the stuff I've been hanging on to for no reason, and maybe buy some nice things like wall art (or even better, get some choice pieces of my own art printed for inspiration).
Let's do it!
Okay, think I'm just about packed for Torquay. We'll be leaving tomorrow lunchtime, and I'll be netless for a week after that, so goodbye people! Catch you on the flipside, or other somesuch.
...but on the 'Food' board at Snopes someone pasted in the ingredients in white bread (US). Firstly, here are the ingredients from a standard white loaf (UK):
Wheat Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt, Spirit Vinegar, Vegetable Oil, Soya Flour, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Di-Acetyltartaric Esters of Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids), Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid), contains Wheat Fibre.
And from the example posted:
Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Barley Malt, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2) Folic Acid)], Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup or Sugar, Yeast. Contains 2% or Less Of: Calcium Sulfate (Ingredients In Excess Of Amount Present In Regular Enriched White Bread), Wheat Gluten, Soybean Oil, Salt, Dough Conditioners (May Contain: Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Datem, Sorbic Acid and or Calcium Dioxide), Vinegar, Soy Flour, Tricalcium Phosphate (Ingredients In Excess Of Amount Present In Regular Enriched White Bread), Yeast Nutrients (May Contain: Ammonium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride and or Diammonium Phosphate), Cornstarch, Wheat Starch, Enzymes, Calcium Propionate (to Retain Freshness), Whey, Soy Lecithin.
This isn't some kind of food-preachy post (I'm a sucker for granary loaves anyway, but I have been known to fancy a slice of white Hovis now and again), I just thought the difference was comical. And don't Skittles in the US have ingredients that aren't allowed in the UK? I wonder how different they taste?